How to Disconnect a Car Battery
Do you know how to disconnect a car battery? Which battery cable should be removed first? let's say you need to clean or replace the battery so you disconnect the battery to make the job here is what to do.
How to disconnect a car battery
1. First is to turn the engine off, look for a safe place to park the car, make sure that the car is park on a level ground and the parking brake is engage, and use a tire stopper for safety purposes.
It is very important to turn off the engine before disconnecting the battery because the battery contains electrical charge and flammable gas produce by corrosive agents, this is done to avoid possibility of fire accident.
2. Now, Locate the battery negative terminal. Usually it contains black plastic indicator label or a negative symbol embedded on the battery casing, however if you cannot find both locate the word “NEG” on the battery case near the terminal. The terminal with a red plastic label is the positive or with a positive sign embedded on the battery casing located near the terminal, sometimes a word “POS” is printed on the casing near the battery pole. Negative terminal is disconnected first this is to prevent short circuit when the tools you use touches the body of the vehicle.
If you disconnect the positive terminal first, there is a possibility that the tool touches the vehicle body and short circuited the system.
3. Once the negative terminal located, check what the type of tools to be used for loosening the terminal nut. Usually an open wrench or socket with size 10 mm can be used to loosen the terminal nut.
4. Disconnect the terminal. Start disconnecting the cable on the negative terminal. Remember that you it not necessary to remove the nut on the terminal you just need to loosen the nut of the battery cable to disconnect the terminal.
5. After the negative terminal was disconnected, proceed with the disconnection of the positive terminal.
6. Now loosen the battery clamp to completely remove the car battery.
Disconnecting car battery can become dangerous if not done correctly that is why it is important to know how to disconnect a car battery so that you may avoid accident when you want to replace your car battery.
Read also: How to Jump Start a Car Battery
Disconnecting car battery will not only applicable when replacing a battery but also when you are about to work on any electrical parts of your car. When returning the battery do the sequence in reverse position which means that the positive terminal must be connected first before the negative terminal is connected.